Thursday, February 28, 2008

Toy problems

Genevieve went to the dentist yesterday while Imogen was at school and a received a small gift from them in return for allowing them to stab needles in her mouth and drill holes into her teeth in a violent effort to fix them. Imogen doesn't deal well with this type of thing. We pick her up from school and she gets into the van and sees Genevieve with some insignificant trinket which becomes very significant during the rest of the afternoon while I listening to screaming "negotiations" concerning the balance between the virtues of sharing and the rights of ownership.

And I reflect once again that only children don't have this problem. Or children born eight years apart. My children are eighteen months apart, to the day. In some ways, this makes life easy. They like all the same toys. They borrow each other's clothes. Or, at least, Genevieve borrows Imogen's clothes. Which is always good for a laugh.

But on the other hand, they like all the same toys. Which means they argue over all the same toys. And while they might, on occasion, play nicely with each other, fights are frequent and passionate. It doesn't help that Genevieve doesn't believe in solving any problem calmly. At the first sign of a disagreement, her eyes fill up and her voice gets all squeaky.

Yesterday, in the car, while Imogen was eyeballing Genevieve's new toy, she said, "Can I have a turn with it?

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's a yoyo," Imogen said.

"No, it's not," Genevieve said.

"Yes, it is," Imogen said.

"What is it then?" I asked.

"I don't know," Genevieve said.

I glanced over my shoulder. "It's a yoyo," I said. When we got home, I demonstrated how to use it, then carefully put the loop of the string over her finger and the yoyo in her hand. She let go and it clunked onto the floor. The string was too long. But she took it to school for show and tell today.

No comments: