Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Genevieve's flower and excess of knowledge

Today, as Genevieve got into the van at pick up time from school, she handed me a flower she had made. She said, "My flower has a realistic stem." Only she pronounced it "wee-alistic". I examined the flower. Imagine my surprise to find that it was an exact replica of that type of flower (whose name escapes me at the moment) that has a stem that is exactly like a neon yellow pipe cleaner. I was suitably impressed.

Yesterday Genevieve told me that her teacher sang the "ears hang low" song. You know... "do your ears hang low, do they wobble too and fro, can you tie 'em in a knot, can you tie 'em in a bow..." etc. Anyway, she was upset because she already knew the song. Imogen had taught it to her. Now, Genevieve pretty much knows just about everything she knows because of Imogen. I've taught her nothing, mostly because by the time it's time for her to learn it, she's already picked it up.

Now, here she is saying that Imogen should avoid mentioning anything that Genevieve may learn in the future at school so that Genevieve can learn it from her teachers instead of her sister. This is so wildly misguided that I didn't even bother arguing about it.

I just said, "Even if I could get Imogen to stop telling you things... I wouldn't."

No comments: