Thursday, February 14, 2008

Renting Books

Libraries are a wonderful invention. However, there are some people who should never be given a library card.

I love books. I adore books. I read a lot, or I do when I'm not in school, and I miss reading while I am in school. I like to own books. So it is my preference to buy books. I like Barnes and Noble and I like Borders. I still haven't found a good used bookstore, but I haven't looked very hard. I keep saying that I'll go on a quest for one some weekend but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm busy.

There is, however, a library very close to my home. Unfortunately, I'm reeeally disorganized when it comes to library books. The girls and I will bring home a stack of books, some of which get read, the rest of which get lost. They get found again, and put in a neat stack to be returned. The stack get buried under laundry or backpacks or an avalanche of junk mail. Or the stack of books gets accidentally put on a bookshelf and mixed in with normal books. Pretty soon the library has sent me a bill for the books and really, I don't want to pay $150 for these books because if I wanted them I would order them from amazon.com or something. Plus, I don't think a lot of my kids' taste in books. Genevieve picks out a book because it has a cool looking tiger on the front and it's some idiotic story about cave people. I don't love books indiscriminately.

Really, I would rather go hang out at Barnes and Noble. I can buy each of the girls a book for around four or seven dollars. It's cheaper in the end than the late fees.

2 comments:

erin said...

Ahhh...I love Half Price books. We have one of those about 5 miles from our house, and we spend a lot of time there. I think I remember seeing Springfield had one somewhere on Half Price's website.

majc forever said...

I totally agree with you about the having to return books. I don't know why it is such a big deal but it really is. I too like owning books and the fact that I don't have to return the books I own makes it just that much sweeter.