Friday, January 27, 2012

Tadpoles

We managed to order tadpoles in the middle of January and they all arrived alive. I got them from homesciencetools.com. I've ordered things from them before and always been happy. I had to specify which day they would deliver but I forgot that our mail always comes very late in the day. We were gone to ballet when they arrived but it was one of our strangly warmer days and they were all fine. 

We were instructed to set up their tank ahead of time with spring water, which I did. I had a fish tank from my inlaws that used to house their fish. I cleaned out the tank and rinsed the gravel as thoroughly as I could, but my water turned foggy shortly after. Since the water was all bought from the store, I imagine it has to have been the tank that was dirty.

I was kind of stressed about it but hey, if they were tadpoles in the wild they would be swimming in a slimy lake... so maybe they'll be ok. It was really too late to do anything about it by the time the water turned foggy. It's been a day and they're swimming around and looking lively. There are seven of them and they'll take about a year to grow to full size. 

No comments: