Thursday, January 04, 2007

A very nice thing

Imogen commented to me that on Christmas her grandmother did a VERY nice thing. (Not just somewhat nice.)

"What nice thing did she do?" I asked disinterestedly, expecting something very typical like a gift or a treat of some grandmotherly fashion.

"She letted us wash the windows!" Imogen said, her eyes wide with the enormity of what she was revealing to me.

And I was very impressed with Jeremy's mother. She not only got my children to clean up her house, but she has managed to do so in such a way that this is put down in their little minds as a "nice thing". An example of generosity in the tradition of Tom Sawyer, white washing a fence. This was so impressive a display of benevolence, it goes beyond the mild giving out of candy. This random act of charity will be remembered for years to come as a highlight of the holiday season.

I wonder if I can get my bathroom cleaned like this...

No comments: