Thursday, October 07, 2010

Basketweave project


First we painted paper with tempera paint. I had a specific idea for this project and knew as soon as the paint started going on the paper that it wouldn't work. The colors we chose were too bright and garish. Some of them seemed to vibrate against each other. Nope, wouldn't work for my previous idea, but I hated to waste the paper they had worked so hard on painting. So I cut it into strips.


I had them start weaving the strips of paper together.


This is easier if you start at the middle and work your way out.


We glued the whole thing down on poster board when it was finished and trimmed the edges. It was a simple project that only took us a couple days to do (one day to paint, another to weave) but they had a lot of fun with it. When I first presented them with a stack of cut up paper they were doubtful but once they started overlapping the strips, it started looking interesting and they loved it.

No comments: