Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Who are these children, and can I keep them?

My children have been almost angelic today. They have the week off of school so they were here with me all day, which is normally a disaster when I'm busy with homework and can not get them out of the house. But they've played quietly while I was occupied. They barely fought. And I actually witnessed a real live negotiation about a disagreement that did not include screaming, crying, foot stomping, hitting, kicking, biting, hair pulling, threats, frantic gasps for breath or the words "YOU RUINED MY LIFE!" (Yes, at the age of six, Genevieve has literally said those words to me.)

We did nothing special today, but it felt special anyway. It was pleasant to simply be at home, having fun (them), and accomplishing something in peace (me). I'm sure tomorrow it'll be business as usual, but oh well.

No comments: