Friday, October 17, 2008

Digital dog tragedy


For Genevieve's birthday she got Nintendogs. It's a cute game. The first dog we bought, a chihuahua named Lulu, ended up being my dog because I'm the one who trained her and the voice recognition software is a little picky. You earn money by taking your dogs to different doggie competitions. You can feed them, bathe them, train them, take them for walks (be sure to pick up the pixilated doggie droppings), give them treats and even dress them up. (Lulu had a pirate hat on yesterday.)

Soon we had enough money for a second dog, which got to be Genevieve's of course, since it was her game. She chose a German Shepherd and named her Maggie. I soon got very bored with the game because Lulu is stupid. She would do all her tricks at home and as soon as I entered her into an obediance competition, she would just sit there and blink at me. Digital dogs are SO annoying (you can't mistreat your dog- even if you starve them, they just run away). Imogen bought a cocker spaniel named Gavin and all was well in the world. The girls would sit together hunched over the game training their dogs so happily that I would forget they were playing and let them go on for ages.

Then tragedy struck. This morning Genevieve rushed to my room in gasping sobs. "I-I-I... accidentally... I... aaaaccidentally..." etc. She accidentally bought a husky. She spend all our money, which we need in order to feed all the dogs, and somehow, Maggie was gone. She spent the appropriate amount of time grieving (about ten minutes) and then moved on, training the new puppy, Toby. Part of me wondered, while I was comforting a hysterical Genevieve, if it's actually healthy for a child to get that attached to something that's not alive, not real. But then again, Genevieve believes the proper response to most situations is crying, so I can't get too worked up about seeing tears, yet again.

No comments: