Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Speechless

Sometimes your children do things, and you can immediately respond with the appropriate consequences that they should face. You dispense justice easily, you feel competent and capable. But then, sometimes your children do something that leaves you so confused that you completely fail to act. They get away with heinous sins simply because they render you speechless.

Example? Glad you asked.

Today Imogen comes to me and complains, "I have to wash my clothes again!"

I'm barely interested. I manage a bored, "Why?"

"Genevieve peed on them," she said indignantly.

That got my attention. "She did? She sat in the basket and just PEED in them?" I asked? Imogen had a basket of clean clothes in her bedroom.

"No," Imogen said. "She peed on the ones in the dryer."

That's right folks. Genevieve crawled INTO THE DRYER to urinate on her sister's clean laundry. I called her over to confirm this very strange allegation, which she did willingly enough. I didn't even do anything about it. I told her not to ever climb into the dryer again, and I told her to change her clothes, but otherwise I just walked away, bemused.

No comments: