Friday, June 29, 2007

Genevieve, asleep


When Genevieve was first born, she had her days and nights mixed up. She slept during the day and screamed all night. Of course, Imogen was 18 months old, so I couldn't sleep during the day so I tried everything I could to get her to stay awake during the day. With most babies, when you blow in their faces, they gasp for breath, thinking they are suffocating. Not Genevieve. I jiggling her around, laid her on the hard floor hoping she'd be uncomfortable, I played loud music or movies. I gave her baths thinking that'd get her good and awake. She screamed during the bath and fell back to sleep after they were done.

Genevieve is, and has always been, very very stubborn when it comes to her sleep. These days if she falls asleep, it takes a long time and very much effort to get her awake, and even when you do, you're unlikely to keep her awake. If you do succeed in waking her, she will make you regret it by being such a deplorably unpleasant person that it's really just best to let her sleep when she wants to. You just don't mess with Genevieve's sleep.

No comments: